The purpose of the Centre is to provide a venue for as many community activities and services as are practicable. The building is the property of The City of Newcastle. It is managed by a local honorary committee appointed by The City of Newcastle.
The building was built in the 1920’s and was originally a picture theatre. It was converted into a community centre in the 1980’s and was officially opened by Lionel Bowen on the 25th October 1985.